Thursday, August 18, 2011

from the shores of the Abyss: a mother's view

This, too, is my first post - actually almost my first ever post. So be kind! I am Nicholas's mother. It is impossible to cover 10 years in a post so I want to begin with that first day. My precious son came home from high school and collapsed into my arms weeping and sobbing that there was something terribly wrong. My heart leapt, my imagination ran wild - but I never could have guessed that I was about to spend the next ten years in the greatest struggle of my life. At first I thought - this too shall pass- but when he not only did not improve but became more -humm -there are no words for what he became -despondent is as close as I can get. Then I thought something had happened to Nicholas to cause this emotional collapse (one rarely recognizes the problem as depression from the beginning and I was no exception). Maybe someone attacked him, or ridiculed him -the suppositions were endless! I just held him in my arms - both of us were weeping and I was scared. As a mom I felt I should be able to fix any and everything - but - I did not even know where to start. I was helpless - the only place to go was to Jesus Christ my Lord. I tried to console Nicholas and to pray - pray HARD! It was a long journey but in my next post I will tell about the words the Lord gave me to cling onto until Nicholas was healed! Everyday was a journey and still is but God gave us hope at the start and He has rescued us from the Abyss.

No comments:

Post a Comment